This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing items from the links cost you nothing more and adds a few pennies to the fabric budget.
I picked my picture. I didn't go too far out of the box. I picked the photo that's on my wall. It makes it easy to double check things.
Then I headed to YouTube to watch how to turn the above into a suitable image for my quilt. I am blessed to have Photoshop but Marilyn includes many ways to do it in the video.
I used my own method of resizing and printing. It's a little involved, I made four separate files of my photo, in Photoshop by copying a fourth of the photo and pasting it in a new file, and printed each out. Then I taped them back together. Marilyn does have a video of how she does it so you can pick either method.
I had already bagged by scraps by color the other day. I only did the small pieces. The larger pieces are still in the plastic boxes. Since I wasn't sure about this I didn't want to cut into my big piece of muslin so I seamed two smaller pieces together. Then I headed for the light box. I'm using Elmer's School glue sticks, the purple kind, so I can see where the glue is at. Then it's just a process of cutting small pieces of fabric to fill in the areas.
When I'm all done I'll go back in and thread paint to keep all those little pieces attached. It should also add some texture to the piece. I ordered my first spool of thread for it too. I'm going with Sulky blendable thread. I only ordered one because I want to see how true the color is to my monitor. I've been posting progress shots on Instagram so if you want to see more of the process follow along. I'll blog about it when I have more done. It is a very slow process. This is a week of work. There's close to 100 pieces in the grass area.